Green Top Sporting Goods has maintained a heritage of over 70 years of service by only selling firearms in accordance with Federal, State and Local laws. With that in mind, we ask that you please always check your local laws and be aware of the most current regulations that govern you before ordering either in person or online.
Generally speaking, one must be at least 18 years old to purchase long guns, and at least 21 years old to purchase handguns. Our short article, 4 Myths about Gun Buying, offers helpful general information that all consumers need to know prior to shopping for a firearm. This document describes both the financial and legal risks that firearms buyers bear.
What to Expect
Some firearms are stocked on site as part of our inventory and others are shipped from a distributor. As with all firearms orders, please expect a few extra days for order processing. (See the checklist numbered 1 through 5 below.)
You will be notified when your order is ready either for pickup at our store in Ashland, Virginia or it has been shipped to a FFL (Federal Firearms License) Dealer of your choice.
If you prefer to have your firearm order shipped, please know that we transfer firearms only to valid and current Federal Firearms License (FFL) holders. During checkout, select/enter your Receiving Dealer's/FFL's contact info into the "Ship To Address" as this will help streamline the delivery process.
To pick up your firearm order at our Ashland, Virginia store location, select "In-Store Pickup" as your method of shipping during checkout.
Once your order has been processed, a staff member will send you an email with further information about when to expect your firearm to be ready either for delivery or pickup after you have completed the checkout process.
Checklist to Purchase Firearms Online
Here is a checklist of actions that you must take to complete any firearms purchase in which the firearm will be shipped:
- Find an FFL (Federal Firearms License) holder near you that will accept the transfer of the firearm for you. This can be your local Gun Shop, Pawn Shop, Gun Range, or any other retail location that holds a current FFL and will help you with your transaction. (Remember to ask the FFL holder for their physical mailing address as we will not ship to P.O. box addresses.)
- Confirm that the firearm you wish to purchase from us meets the laws of your state, county, or city.
- Remember that the transfer of the firearm is between you and the FFL holder. You must abide by their procedures especially when it comes to following Federal, State, and Local laws. You must confirm the transfer with the FFL holder. Be aware that they will most likely charge a transfer fee that you will need to pay separately to the FFL holder.
- Once your FFL holder receives your firearm, you will need to pick it up in person at their location. Upon arrival at your FFL holder, inspect your firearm to make certain that everything is acceptable before filling out the necessary paperwork for Federal and State Police background checks. (NOTE: If you are not able to pass the background checks, you will be responsible for all related shipping charges and fees.)
- If you have questions about the FFL swap process, or about the firearm specifically, please contact us at 804-550-2188, or Email Us.
Notable Restrictions and Important Information
- Federal law requires that you must be at least 18 years old to purchase shotgun ammunition and 21 years or older to purchase handgun and rifle ammunition.
- Federal law requires that you must be at least 18 years old to purchase most long guns and 21 years or older to purchase handguns.
- States and localities have differing laws for sporting/semi-automatic rifles. So, please confirm what the laws in your area allow.
- We will charge you actual shipping costs if you purchase and then must have the FFL return a firearm that you can not legally own in your area.
- This is not a comprehensive list of restrictions. Please check your local, state and federal laws before ordering firearms.
Federal law requires that you must be at least 18 years old to purchase shotgun ammunition and 21 years or older to purchase handgun and rifle ammunition.
- In most states, you do not need an FFL to purchase ammunition online.
- We can ship ammunition to your door via UPS Ground.
- Ammunition and firearms will be shipped separately.
- For safety reasons, we do not accept returns on ammunition.
- Always make sure you use the correct ammunition for your specific firearm.
- Check your local laws for any other regulations before ordering.
Air Gun and Sling Shot Restrictions
Air guns and Sling Shots are restricted in some locations. Please check your State and Local laws before ordering.
Black Powder Firearms Restrictions
You must be at least 18 or older to purchase Black Powder firearms. Black Powder firearms cannot be shipped to some locations. Please check your State and Local laws before ordering.
Restrictions on High-Capacity Magazines
Some States and Localities restrict higher capacity magazines. Please check your local laws before ordering such devices. A high-capacity magazine is any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than that which is allowed by the Locality or State in question.
Crossbows, Pepper Spray, and Mace Restrictions
Crossbows, Pepper Spray, and Mace are restricted in some locations. Please check your State and Local laws before ordering.